Saturday, September 5, 2009

Menopause & Teenagers ... Why would God do this?

"Menopausal women often complain of fuzzy thinking, forgetfulness, and difficulty concentrating; some even wonder if this is the beginning of dementia."

Hence, one of my first questions for the good Lord when I enter the pearly gates: Why in the world would you give us menopause at the same time you give us teenagers and college students?

My children, as sweet as they are, already think I'm an idiot. Now add the mood swings. The incontinence. The hot flashes. No wonder they think I'm nuts ... I am!

Kayti laughs at how often I have to use the bathroom ("Never waste an opportunity to go" is my motto). I wake up sweaty and stinky every morning. I can't remember what I ate for breakfast or what I was planning to do when I got to the top of the stairs. I have a Master's degree and I am a member of Phi Beta Kappa for heaven's sake. And yet, I can't recall the name of the song that Kayti played for me 5 minutes ago ... and, after she said "Okay Mom, now remember this, it's called "Northern Downpour." Got it?" Apparently not.

Way back when, I didn't want to hear about my mother's hot flashes or menopause. That was gross. And so, I have no viable explanation to offer except "You're right. Sorry. Tell me again please." She'll get it one day. I hope I'm still on the planet so I can say, "See? I wasn't that stupid after all."

No comments: