Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of School Resolutions


The beginning of the school year is always bittersweet for me.

On one hand, I love having my kids home during the summer ... we play cards, watch movies, eat out (well, that's no different from the rest of the year), and just have a great time together. So when the school bell rings, I am always a bit sad.

Of course, you know the "other hand" side of the story ... it is quiet here today and I have a nice long list of things I hope to get done. Nothing dramatic, mind you, but crossing anything off the list is an accomplishment. (Yes, I admit used to write "take a shower" on my list when the kids were little ... sadly, that one didn't always get crossed off!)

But here's the biggest bonus for me ... the first day of school is way more effective than New Year's Day for successful resolution following-through-ness. This word may be new to your vocabulary, but I am ever so familiar with its antithesis. I have started many a successful diet on the first day of school, and I intend to do the same again this year. I have already walked the dog for half an hour (it was slug-dodge today ... why in heaven's name were there so many slugs on the path?) and I shall drink 6 glasses of water and eat my fruits and veggies before the day ends.

To all you moms out there, best of luck with your First-Day-of-School resolutions!

Here's my sweet Kayti
(and the mutt Kilmer)
on Kayti's first day of
her sophomore year
of high school.








Jean -- thanks for teaching me
how to post pictures.
Hi, Lexi!

1 comment:

Lexi said...

Hi Mrs. Mears! Check out the Motherload- it'll make you laugh! :-D Love seeing all the new YMLY products and keeping up with all my favorite NOVA loves! I need to commission you to make me a fun House Mother notecard for my girls! <3