Friday, May 14, 2010

Entering the High School: A Study

More often than not this year, I have driven Kayti to school. This process gives her an extra 15 minutes in the morning and it gives me time with her in the car, something that will slowly fade away over the next few months as her solo trips as a new driver become more frequent.

Every morning, after Kayti gets out of the car, I have a brief moment or two while I am still in the car line to observe the social phenomenon of Entering a School. At any given time, there are about 20-25 kids walking toward the 2 sets of double doors to get into the building. While there are the exceptional one or two groups of kids entering together, the majority of 15-18 year olds enter alone, keeping their heads either down or straight ahead and walking tentatively to avoid the awkwardness of keeping the same pace with the person next to them. I've seen kids, who I am certain know each other, glance in the direction of their acquaintance in hope of recognition, only to be denied or unseen and so they continue with the pack as it moves toward the doors.

Funny thing about this ... at 49 I can still relate to the "will someone acknowledge me / should I acknowledge them" tug of war of this process and the agonizing attack on self-worth that can accompany it with every step. I still feel it sometimes as I enter the same building for church each week, but then up walks the designated Greeter, who reaches out his or her hand and welcomes me on Sunday mornings.

Too bad there's no Greeter Club in high school.

2 comments:

Nancy T. Bookman said...

I think you're on to something. If churches have greeters, WalMart has greeters, Friendly's has greeters and Giant has greeters, the greeter business is already on a roll.
But you forgot about the dog. I'll bet that Kilmer makes up for all of those high school years when everyone pretended not to notice who was coming or how many were going. Aren't you, sometimes, greeted when you are just coming back to the family room from the kitchen? Perhaps someone should take Kilmer to high school!
I'll meet you at the door.

Jean A. said...

OH.. the pain of HS....
miss you! xoxo, J