Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Lesson on Sharing

It is hard to teach your children to share when you aren't willing to offer bites of your long-coveted, finally here and completely frozen Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Halloween Pumpkins ... you know those don't you, the ones with LOTS of peanut butter in them? Oh. My. Goodness. There goes a day's worth of Weight Watchers points in 3 bites.

There are some things that are justifiably off limits when it comes to sharing, like germs for instance, or brand new tall sweat pants, or the last sip of the Chick-Fil-A Diet Dr. Pepper, or the new couch, or your new car.

Well, alas, Kayti wore my new sweats to school yesterday. The soda is long gone. And I have to keep tons of pillows all over the new denim couch to keep the dog off.

As for the new car, I taught my kids how to share, too. Andy's car, the one that he bought with his own money this past summer, is now in a heap up in a College Park salvage dump. Andy wasn't driving. He wasn't even in the car. He lent his little white Versa to his very good friend and well, accidents happen. To add cliché to cliché, we thank our lucky stars that no one was hurt. We will get Andy a new car as soon as possible (after we get through the GEICO nightmare that is now upon us). In the meantime, he will get rides from his girlfriend and life will go on. Frankly, despite what happened, I am very proud of my boy for being willing to share.

As for the Reese's Peanut Butter Pumpkins, well I'll quote my father ... "Do as I say, not as I do!"

Goodbye, Versa.

No comments: