Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Weather Fascinates Me

The anticipation of a snow storm thrills me as much as it does the kindergartners who wear their pj's inside out and backwards and flush ice down the toilet. I marvel at huge thunderstorms that rolls through in the summertime and leave amazing rainbows in their wake. I watch with wonder as the flood waters rise and track the hurricanes that may possibly hit land near my home.

Yesterday, the Potomac River rose above flood stage and I could hardly wait to get my camera and head down to Algonkian Park's boat launch on the river to see the effects of three days of heavy rain on the water level of the river. Here's what I saw:
Here's the Boat Launch, which is usually a 4-5 feet drop from the parking lot to the river.

Check out the picnic pavilion along the river. Soggy dogs on the grill!

This guy (he's there .. look closely through the downed tree branches on the left) is literally fishing in what is normally used as a soccer field!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah! A new blog. I check at least 3 times a week. I loved seeing the pictures of the Potomac flooding. Big weather is cool but I for one am wearing my PJ's right side out and eating the ice. No more snow!